Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Painting the Pulleys

The pulleys for the sash weights looked like this.
The original finish was a tan lacquer.  The lower sash pulleys were painted green.  I stripped the green paint off where the sash moves which includes the pulley.  I couldn't match the tan look of the original, so I decided to paint them both with black lacquer spray paint.  I removed them and used fast acting paint remover to clean the paint off the pulleys and a heat gun for the wood.  The screws are being replaced with shiny brass colored ones to match the fixture latches.  I made a holder out of cardboard so I could paint the edges that will show when installed.  The pulleys and the axles were masked off.  Here are some pictures of the process.





Here they are after installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment